Tools for Information Literacy
Welcome to INLS 161-002
Instructor: Elliott Hauser
Office hours: I will be available for office hours after class on Monday. Email me to schedule an in-person or video meeting at another time. Time: 3:35-4:50pm
Location: 117 Manning Hall
Labs: During class. See Schedule.
Dates: 24 August 2016 - 7 December 2016
Exam period: 4:00pm 10 December 2016
Schedule feed: /feed
This site houses the course files and syllabus for INLS 161-002, Tools for Information Literacy.
The course runs from 24 August to 7 December, 2016.
The class runs Monday-Thursday (except holidays), 11:00-12:30 in Manning Hall, room 117 (the computer lab inside the SILS library).
The course description, as it appears in the UNC course catalog:
"Tools and concepts for information literacy. Includes software use and maintenance, computer applications, and networked information systems."
The course introduces some basic technology tools as an essential component of information literacy training. We will cover the following:
- Operating on a remote system
- Using version control software to maintain your workflow
- Manipulating and formatting text-based documents
- Basic scripting
- Processing data using spreadsheets
- Processing and storing data in databases
- Developing presentation materials to communicate your work effectively